Volunteer Befriending Visitor
Everybody should have somebody. Together Co Befriending matches people with people to create friendships that make life better.
Could you spare an hour a fortnight to enrich someone else’s life? Looking for an opportunity where you will be part of something special?
Recent quote from a volunteer befriender at Together Co:
- Really happy I signed up for this and feel like I struck gold with being matched with my scheme member - she's wonderful!
Since the 1990s, we have been fighting loneliness across our city by making matches that last. We help people experiencing chronic loneliness who might have a physical or sensory disability or are a full-time carer. Increasingly we are helping people living with mental health difficulties.
We offer a programme of training, volunteer socials and events. Many of our volunteers have used this opportunity as a springboard into working with older people or the care sector.
We offer a comprehensive induction training programme, however the following skills will be useful:
- Strong listening skills and the ability to chat easily
- Non-judgemental attitude
- Honesty and reliability
- Respect for confidentiality
- Friendliness and warmth.
- Being part of a team of about 250 volunteers across the city fighting loneliness and social isolation.
- Support from your Befriending Coordinator – just a phone call or email away providing you a personal contact so support is available when you need it.
- Volunteer peer support sessions, socials and events.
- We ask for a minimum commitment of an hour a fortnight for at least six months.
- You will be matched with someone for a weekly/fortnightly face-to-face visit in their own home or meeting in a public place such as a cafe. We match people based on mutual interests.
- Out of pocket expenses for travel and telephone can be reimbursed.
- Timing of the visits can be flexible and based on your availability.
- We take up two references and also run a DBS check. Training is provided.
- The minimum age for befrienders is 18 years.
In the words of one of our volunteers:
"I love being a befriender. I feel I am making a real difference to people's lives, and they, in return, have made my life richer. I love the way my matches have been done and absolutely have a wonderful relationship with my scheme members. I am very impressed with the training on offer from Together Co to help me support my matches. Thank you so much for all the help and support you give me."
When do I need to be available?
|1+ hour a week or 1+ hour a fortnight. We would like you to be able to commit to a minimum of six months.
- Supporting People and Befriending
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities