St Vincent DePaul Society (Brighton and Hove)
Tower House is our new Community Centre & Café in the Preston Park area of Brighton. We will be welcoming all different types of customer into our café; and we will also be providing services for people over the age of 50 in our adjoining centre rooms.
The role of café assistant will be very important to the success of our café and centre - as you may be the first person that a visitor or club member sees when they come to Tower House. It is important to us that our guests feel welcome and supported.
The role itself will be working as part of a pair (normally alongside another volunteer or the café supervisor). The main duties are to engage with our customers, give them a warm welcome, chat to them, take their orders and payments, and serve hot drinks and snacks for them to enjoy (for example cakes, biscuits, pastries). Finally to make sure the area is kept clean and tidy and adheres to food safety regulations (full training will be given in this area).
- A warm, welcoming disposition with a smile!
- Good verbal communication skills, able to chat to members of the public
- Good numeracy and literacy skills
- Good spoken and written English
- Money handling experience
- Organised and methodical - able to manage one or more orders at a time
- Good levels of hygiene and an understanding of basic food hygiene principles
- Able to work as part of a collaborative team.
- Training and full induction
- Opportunities to work in other areas of the centre to gain experience (e.g. Commercial kitchens, administration, in activity provision)
- A friendly, welcoming and understanding team awaits you!
- Expenses paid (e.g bus tickets etc)
- An opportunity to build relationships that really matter to our customers
- Confidence building in skills like communication, team work, to start again - post redundancy, post career break etc
- We are a centre for the over 50's and welcome the experiences that applicants from this age range might provide.
- The centre is on the main bus routes from/to Brighton on the 5, 5a, 17, 270, 271, 272 & 273
- The centre is also very close to Preston Park train station (it is in the next street about a 5-10 minute walk away)
- The cafe will open from 8am until 3pm and morning or afternoon shifts are available, we can support flexible working where practical
- The centre has limited parking, parking may be available on occasion.
When do I need to be available?
|The cafe opens from 8am until 3pm.
Where does this role take place?
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Community Food
- Employment, Education and Training
- Health and Social Care
- Mental Health
- Older People
Slope access, step free fire exits, disabled toilets
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Applicants over the age of 50 are encouraged. Applicants returning to the workforce are encouraged.
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities