Carers Group Co-facilitator (Drug & Alcohol Support)
Carers Support West Sussex
Role aims: Working together with the Drug & Alcohol Wellbeing Workers, to provide a safe space for carers to meet on a regular basis to engage with other carers, gain information and peer support. Our drug and alcohol groups are for anyone impacted by someone else`s drug and/or alcohol misuse. Quite often the person being supported (cared-for) will also have an underlying condition alongside this misuse such as mental health.
Role Details: Within a group setting carers are supported to share their feelings and experiences to enable them to reduce their stress and feelings of loneliness and isolation. This is achieved by actively listening, providing relevant information and guidance, and responding to issues and concerns raised by the Carer.
Other activities could include, feeding back to the wellbeing workers, when additional support has been identified or requested. The co-Facilitator would also be responsible for alerting the drug and alcohol wellbeing workers to any Safeguarding
Skills & Competencies:
- Active listening, and excellent & effective communication.
- Confident to engage with others within a group setting.
- An insight into drug and alcohol issues affecting the carer on a daily basis.
- An empathetic caring approach when engaging with others.
- Personal/Professional insight/or willing to learn more regarding the issues carer`s face being affected by someone using drugs and/or alcohol (preferred but not essential).
- To be non-judgemental and be able to maintain personal boundaries.
- Encourage and promote carer health and wellbeing.
Due to the nature of the caring situation, it is essential that we have someone with professional and/or personal experience/insight into misuse and dependency issues related to D&A.
- Out of pocket expenses that include travel and parking.
- Access to Employee Assistance Programme
- Volunteers can co-facilitate at more than one group a month if desired.
- This role is available to anyone over the age of 18yrs
- We will require 2 References and a basic DBS check.
When do I need to be available?
|We require one for our Worthing group, which starts at 5.30pm – finishing around 8pm And one for our Crawley group, which starts at 2.30pm – finishing around 5pm.
Where does this role take place?
- No specific interest
- Supporting Charities
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Over 18s only
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities