Coram Beanstalk Trained Reading Helper
Coram Beanstalk believes that when a child becomes a reader, they get the very best chance in life, and every child deserves that.
The role of a reading helper places you in the heart of primary school life. You’ll be leading reading sessions that bring a positive reading experience to children outside of the classroom. Children will benefit from someone giving them one-to-one attention, showing them how much fun reading can be and the purpose reading has in their lives.
You will build a positive learning relationship with individual children aged 4-11, maintaining a regular weekly commitment. This consistency will build confidence, improve their engagement with reading and allow their reading skills to rocket!
You will need to feel comfortable in a school environment, be able to complete an enahnced level DBS check and have a love of reading.
• You’ll be able to directly help children in your local community, using your skills to give something back by sharing a love of reading with the younger generation
• The role can also improve your wellbeing, giving structure to your week and you’ll be feeling helpful and gain a new sense of purpose
• If you’re developing your career, you’ll be able to gain and evidence new skills and get experience of the school environment
• You’ll be joining our reading community with opportunities to connect with other volunteers and our team
• We also pay travel expenses up to 5 miles each way
You will need to be able to make a regular, weekly commitment, one afternoon each week.
When do I need to be available?
|You will need to be able to make a regualr, weekly commitment, one afternoon each week.
- Teaching and Training
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Up to 5 miles travel expenses
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
Once trained we provide ongoing support through additional training sessions, a volunteer portal, a dedicated support rep for each volunteer and monthly communications.
This role is adaptable for different abilities
All reading helpers must complete our training