Drop-in Volunteer: Speak Out East
Brighton and Hove Speak Out
We are currently on the hunt from some volunteers to help support our weekly Speak Out East drop-ins.
Speak Out East is a weekly drop-in for people with learning disabilities in East Brighton, helping to prevent loneliness and social isolation. People get together over a drink and snack at St. George’s Church Café in Kemp Town between 11am and 1 pm on a Thursday. We aim to support people to be more involved in their local community and make connections with others at the drop-in and the wider community in East Brighton
The role involves:
- To help facilitate weekly drop-in meetings with other volunteers and staff.
- Work with people with learning disabilities to become more independent and try new things away from the drop-in.
- Support people with learning disabilities to develop supportive relationships and friendships.
- Support people with learning disabilities to feel more confident accessing mainstream services.
- Commitment to equal opportunities.
- Good listening and observational skills.
- To be non-judgmental and respectful towards people.
- Understand the value of independent advocacy and need for confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently, use initiative and remain calm in stressful situations.
- A willingness to develop skills, engage in supervision and undertake training as required.
- Basic IT skills that include Word, Outlook or similar.
- An opportunity to use and expand upon your existing experience and skills.
- Access to a range of free courses and training.
- Be part of a team committed to a better, more equal and inclusive society.
When do I need to be available?
|2 hours, every Thursday, from 11am - 1pm
Where does this role take place?
- Learning Disabilities
- Administration and Office
- Advice and Information
- Computers, IT and Websites
- General Helping
- Supporting Charities
- Supporting People and Befriending
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities