E-Cargo Bike Volunteer
FareShare Sussex & Surrey
Are you passionate about saving the environment? Do you enjoy cycling?
Then you could be the person for us!
At FareShare Sussex and Surrey we are passionate about reducing our carbon footprint, especially when it comes to our deliveries. As an E-Cargo Bike Volunteer, you will be using our electric cargo trike to collect and deliver surplus food from new suppliers and projects around Brighton and Hove.
What will I be doing?
- You will be the vital link between us and the charities, getting the food to where it's needed.
- You'll be the friendly face of FareShare interacting with the charities, making sure they get the food they need.
- Liaising with the staff team at the beginning of your shift to plan deliveries for the day/shift.
- Performing a clean and inspection of the e-cargo bike before use to ensure safety of the vehicle and rider.
- Efficiently and accurately documenting food received from the suppliers.
- Ability and level of fitness to cycle a power assisted e-cargo bike confidently for up to four hours in traffic around the Brighton & Hove area.
- E-cargo bike experience is desirable but not essential.
- Good customer service, even when working to deadline with suppliers and projects.
- Confidence to volunteer alone whilst out on deliveries.
- Ability to understand and accept people from different backgrounds and with additional needs.
- Ability to be adaptable - managing surplus can be unpredictable so day-to-day tasks can vary.
- Willingness to do backup rider shifts in the warehouse.
- Positive, friendly, and enthusiastic about tackling food waste and food poverty.
- Completion of relevant in-house training - a cycle proficiency assessment, a Highway Code test and food safety training. Optional level 3 bikeability training and level 2 Food safety training.
- Be available for at least one four hour shift per week for three months.
- Be at the forefront of stopping good food from going to waste and be involved in a new low-carbon food distribution project.
- Be part of a friendly team of like-minded people.
- New experience and skills to add to your CV.
- Active role, great exercise.
- Please note that agreement to a DBS check is required for this role.
- Good level of fitness to cycle a power assisted e-cargo bike.
- Able to complete free training.
- The FareShare Sussex warehouse is based in Moulsecoomb. (Accessible by bus on the 25, 28, 29 and 50 (Moulsecoomb Way bus stop) or 10-15 minute walk from Moulsecoomb train station.
- Reasonable travel expenses will be paid, and a free lunch on site.
When do I need to be available?
|Volunteer will need to be available for at least one four hour shift per week for three months.
Where does this role take place?
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Reasonable travel expenses will be paid.
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
In-house training on cycling ability, highway code test, warehouse duties, food safety.