Volunteer Tutor (English or Math)
Action Tutoring unlocks the potential of children and young people who are facing disadvantage. We are tackling the attainment gap head-on by forging partnerships with schools nationwide. Our trained volunteer tutors are empowered to enable pupils to make meaningful academic progress, opening doors to future opportunities.
As an English or Math's tutor, you will choose one of our partner schools and work with 1-3 pupils for an hour a week, across the course 10-20 weeks. Sessions are either delivered on the school premises or online, at the same time each week. You can choose to support children preparing for their SATS, (ages 9-11), or G.C.S.E. (ages 14-16). We provide all our tutors with training and workbooks to use in sessions.
Face to face opportunities are available in Brighton and Hove and across Sussex. You can tutor online from anywhere in England, Scotland, or Wales.
Volunteering with Action Tutoring is an easy and rewarding way to make a difference to the lives of young people living in your community. By volunteering and tutoring for just one hour a week, you will be able to directly support disadvantaged young people to build their confidence and help ensure they leave school with the grades needed to build a bright future, as well as developing your own skills.
- We are looking for volunteers who have or are studying for a degree, (in any subject) and have a B grade, or above at 'A' Level (or equivalent) in the subject they wish to tutor. (If your qualifications do not match these requirements, we still encourage you to apply and we would love to hear about any other qualifications/training/work experience related to the role).
- You need to be a fluent English speaker, and enthusiasm for the subject you are tutoring is important.
- Experience working with young people is helpful, but not essential.
- Good Communication skills, patience, commitment, and resilience.
- Through tutoring with us, volunteers are able to develop a wealth of transferable skills, all whilst making a great impact.
- As a volunteer you will have the opportunity to meet like-minded individuals in your community.
- An opportunity to have a direct impact on the outcomes of the next generation.
- Please note we cannot currently accept tutors who live outside the UK or are under the age of 18.
- A DBS check will be needed.
- Face-to-face or online tutoring.
When do I need to be available?
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Employment, Education and Training
- Young People
Depends on partner school
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Reasonable travel expenses . Travel expenses will be paid up to £5 per session.
Health and Safety
Comprehensive induction provided
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Yes (and covers volunteers)
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
18+ None (apart from assessment criteria, see above)
Support on Offer
Extensive training and resources provided
This role is adaptable for different abilities