Shopmobility is a vital service providing scooters and wheelchairs for low cost hire. Could you meet and greet customers and help deliver equipment across Brighton & Hove?
- Helping maintain our mobility scooters and wheelchairs; including cleaning, charging, and basic repairs
- Meeting and greeting customers and advising them on the most appropriate scooter for them
- Taking basic booking information
- Delivering scooters to customers across the city – we do this by riding the scooters there directly, so no driving licence is required.
Our volunteers always work in a team, so you’re never on your own.
We're looking for people with a range of skills and experience to volunteer with us. Maybe you’re looking to gain some work experience, or maybe you just want to bring a bit of routine to your life.
Here are some of the skills we're looking for:
- Reliable, able to attend 1 shift per week for a minimum of 6 months
- Ability to learn to safely and confidently drive a mobility scooter
- A reasonable level of mobility
- A friendly and supportive manner
- Able to pass on information accurately
- Good communication skills
- Able to use own initiative
- A commitment to providing quality services for people living with health conditions.
It would be great to have some experience in the following areas, but it doesn’t matter if you don’t:
- Experience of working with the public.
- Knowledge and understanding of disability and disablement issues.
- Knowledge or experience of the use of mobility equipment.
You don’t need to be a disabled person to volunteer with us.
- An opportunity to enhance and build on your skills and experience. Whether you're looking to get into work or you just want to brush up on your computer skills, we're happy to help you get there.
- The chance to build confidence, self-esteem and make a difference. Our volunteers come from all walks of life, but every single one reports a boost in confidence and self-esteem from volunteering. It's a great feeling to go home at the end of the day knowing you've made a real difference.
- Access to a range of free courses. Whether it's building on computer skills, learning more about equality, or working on your personal confidence, we can help you find a course to get there. All volunteers are invited to the same internal and external training as our staff members.
Our volunteers have a lot of fun, too!
- We are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed to make volunteering work for you.
- Travel expenses are paid.
- This role is for a set shift once per week, either 10am to 1pm, or 1pm to 4pm.
- This role is based at our Shopmobility office in Churchill Square and involves independent travel across the city.
When do I need to be available?
|Volunteers must be able to commit to 1 shift per week for a minimum of 6 months. Shifts are 10 to 1 or 1 to 4.
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- Health and Social Care
- Mental Health
- No specific interest
- Older People
- Parks and Open Spaces
- Administration and Office
- Business Skills
- General Helping
- Practical Skills
- Supporting Charities
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Travel expenses paid
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
Full training and induction, ongoing supervision and support, one-to-ones with volunteer lead every 3 months