Volunteer Telephone Befriender
Everybody should have somebody. Together Co Befriending matches people with people to create friendships that make life better.
Could you spare an hour a week to enrich someone else’s life? Looking for an opportunity where you will be part of something special?
Since the 1990s, we have been fighting loneliness across our city by making matches that last. We help people experiencing chronic loneliness and are aged over 18 or have a physical or sensory disability or are a full-time carer. Increasingly we are helping people living with mental health difficulties.
We offer induction training, volunteer socials and events. Many of our volunteers have used this opportunity as a springboard into working in care settings or within the third sector.
We offer a comprehensive induction training programme, however the following skills will be useful:
- Strong listening skills and the ability to chat easily
- Non-judgemental attitude
- Honesty and reliability
- Respect for confidentiality
- Friendliness and warmth
- Being part of a team of 250 volunteers across the city fighting loneliness and social isolation.
- Support from your Befriending Coordinator – just a phone call or email away providing you a personal contact so support is available when you need it.
- Volunteer peer
support sessions, socials and events .
- Regular communications, newsletter and training updates.
- We ask for a minimum commitment of an hour a week/fortnight for at least six months.
- You will be matched with someone for a weekly phone call based on mutual interests.
- Out of pocket expenses for telephone can be reimbursed.
- Timing of the call can be flexible and based on your availability.
- We take up two references and also run a DBS check. Training is provided.
- The minimum age for befrienders is 18 years.
In the words of one of our volunteers:
"I love being a befriender. I feel I am making a real difference to people's lives, and they, in return, have made my life richer. I love the way my matches have been done and absolutely have a wonderful relationship with my scheme members. I am very impressed with the training on offer from Together Co to help me support my matches. Thank you so much for all the help and support you give me."
When do I need to be available?
|30 minutes to one hour a week or fortnight. We’d like you to be able to commit to a minimum of six months.
- Black and Minority Ethnic Communities
- Health and Social Care
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender
- Mental Health
- Older People
- Womens Issues
- Supporting People and Befriending
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities