Brighton and Hove Speak Out
Thank you for your interest in becoming a treasurer with Brighton and Hove Speak Out. We are a local independent advocacy charity that works alongside people with learning disabilities to ensure that their voices are heard whilst supporting people to develop skills and confidence to address the issues and discrimination they face.
Our vision is a fairer world for people with learning disabilities in which they are listened to and have the same rights, choice and control over their lives as everyone else.
As treasurer you would work to ensure that all the finances and the supporting financial control systems are kept in order. You will not hold or maintain the financial records but will provide governance oversight and scrutiny to the finances and systems and support the CEO and staff with delegated duties in the financial management of the organisation.
- Qualified accountant (or significant financial experience) supported by demonstrable commercial awareness and knowledge.
- Proven ability to analyse, communicate and explain financial information and consequences in a clear and accessible way.
- A Team orientated approach to problem solving and to management.
- Excellent analytical and evaluative skills, demonstrating both sound judgement and the willingness to make unpopular recommendations to the Board.
- Committed to Speak Out’s work.
- Experience of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes.
- In addition to Finance and Accounting skills, experience in one or more areas; strategic planning, business management, learning disabilities, comms and campaigning, Trusts or other grant giving bodies particularly fund raising and legal knowledge.
- Willingness to act as an ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies.
- Volunteers with Speak Out must be friendly, supportive, and non-judgemental.
Speak Out are based in central Brighton and is in easy reach of trains and buses.
4 Board meetings a year, 4 subcommittee meetings, annual AGM, some other ad hoc engagements
When do I need to be available?
|You will be required to attend four board meetings a year, plus extra Committee meetings and annual AGM.
Where does this role take place?
- Learning Disabilities
- Trusteeship and Committee Work
fully accessible premises
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities