Volunteer at the FareShare Sussex warehouse
FareShare Sussex & Surrey
FareShare Sussex is a charity project that redistributes surplus food from a busy warehouse in Moulsecoomb, Brighton, to a range of different charitable organisations across communities in Sussex and Surrey. Although independently funded, we are part of a national network of regional centres working to alleviate food poverty and reduce food waste across the UK.
This role involves:
- Picking stock and labelling orders for deliveries.
- Going out on the van with the Delivery Driver making deliveries.
- Sorting food and restocking shelves.
- Loading and unloading the van/deliveries.
- Heavy lifting (no more than 10KGs).
- Recording van temperatures and taking signatures on deliveries.
- Providing a high level of customer service to our member organisations.
- Representing FareShare out in the community.
- Punctuality and good time-keeping skills.
- Good customer service skills.
- Attention to detail.
- A commitment of one shift per week for a minimum of three months.
- A fun a sociable role, meeting people from a cross section of society.
- Vital and rewarding work, providing emergency food to the most vulnerable in our communities.
- Opportunities to expand the role - become a lead volunteer, learn kitchen skills, ride our e-cargo bike, gain office skills.
The warehouse role is quite physical so you would need to be relatively fit. We are well served by bus routes on the Lewes Road and there is a car park nearby.
When do I need to be available?
|We mostly need volunteers for four hour shifts, starting at 9am, 1pm or 2pm (although some flexibility is allowed if this doesn't suit you). The Warehouse is open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 6.30pm. We run introduction sessions every 2-4 weeks.
Where does this role take place?
As a busy warehouse it is not a suitable environment for wheelchair users.
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
We reimburse travel expenses up to the cost of an advance day saver bus ticket (£4.80). For volunteers that find it difficult to purchase a ticket in advance we can issue them a ticket to use at their next session. We provide lunch from our surplus food.
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
We provide tailored support to our volunteers. There are regular informal and annual formal feedback opportunities, a volunteer\'s computer for job search/CV writing and staff on hand to support as needed, for example with benefits advice or interview skills.
As part of your induction you will get an introduction to manual handling, then subsequent 'on-the-job' training. We also offer accredited courses in food safety and fork lift truck where appropriate.