Volunteer Café Assistant - Weekends
The Martlets Café offers a friendly atmosphere for staff, patients and visitors to enjoy a drink or something to eat – and we’d love you to join our team
Where: Martlets Community Café, Martlets Hospice, Wayfield Avenue, Hove, BN3 7LW
When: Saturday or Sunday 8am-12pm or 11pm-3pm
Usual minimum commitment: 4-hour shift
What you’ll be doing:
This role supports the catering team in the smooth running of the Café:
- Open the café - turn on the coffee machine, set up the counter snacks & cakes display
- Liaise with the chef on duty with regards to the soup and/or hot meal options for day
- Serve customers on the till (card and mobile payments), make drinks, clear tables as required, stock up items on display and in the fridge
- Assist with the cleaning of the kitchen and café seating area
- Close the café – clean the coffee machine, wipe down all surfaces, clear away the display.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Confident at taking orders, using the till and serving customers
- Flexible, reliable and willing to work on your own or as part of a team
- Sensitive to the vulnerability of our patients.
- An opportunity for you to be part of a small friendly team
- To gain valuable experience of working in a Café environment
- Relevant training in health and safety specific to the role.
Reasonable expenses will be paid
When do I need to be available?
|When: Saturday or Sunday 8am-12pm or 11pm-3pm Usual minimum commitment: 4-hour shift
Where does this role take place?
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
through a 3rd party sponsor
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities