YMCA DownsLink Group
Could you make a difference to the lives of vulnerable young people at YMCA DownsLink Group?
We are looking for volunteer chaplains to help take part in informal weekly chaplaincy evenings to support the residents who live at our housing projects in the locations Brighton, Hove, and Worthing.
YMCA DownsLink Group house young people, aged 16-25, most of whom stay around 2 years. Our young people face many barriers; we provide a place and space for young people to feel safe through our projects that will lead to better life chances and a positive future. Our volunteers are at the heart of our work to support and encourage young people to turn their lives around.
YMCA DownsLink Group has a Christian foundation and inclusive vision. Our chaplaincy service helps ensure our YMCA supported accommodation is unique. Our multi-faith chaplains make a difference to the lives of young people in our supported accommodation by providing a space to be heard, to have fun and to eat together.
What will I be doing as a volunteer chaplain?
- As a volunteer chaplain, you will work as part of a team and spend time with the residents in their projects, cooking and eating with them, chatting, playing board games, and generally just being there for them.
- Chaplaincy sessions centre around hospitality. Most revolve around weekly shared meals within our housing projects which helps build confidence, friendships, and a sense of family.
We are looking for people:
- of faith or belief;
- who are kind, good listeners, and non judgemental;
- have a sense of humour;
- a love of young people;
We have a Christian Foundation and inclusive vision and we welcome applications from people of all faiths and beliefs.
- Helping to make a difference in the lives of vulnerable and marginalised young people.
- Volunteering for the YMCA is a great way to gain experience, learn new skills, and make some new friends.
- Opportunity to add real value to the work we do at the YMCA.
- You will receive training and support from one of our paid Chaplains.
- Able to make a commitment of one evening every 2-3 weeks.
- Housing projects are located in Brighton and Hove, Worthing. (Other locations found in Crawley, Horsham, Eastbourne and Guildford)
When do I need to be available?
|We ask for a commitment of one evening (approximately 2 hours) every 2-3 weeks.
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Suitable for 13 - 16 years
- Suitable for 16 - 18 years
- Suitable for a group of volunteers
- Support on Offer
- This role is adaptable for different abilities