Volunteer with Benfield Hill Local Nature Reserve
Benfield Wildlife and Conservation Group
- We are on site every Tuesday 10.00 to 14.00
- Prevent scrub ( what we call Scrub Bashing) from swamping our chalk grassland habitat, (some of our team are trained brush cutters, others rake, bag and drag the scrub to the bonfire site)
- Help with the burning of scrub
- Dig up small Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Dogwood and Privet saplings
- Litter pick
- Survey the species present - a spring and summer activity
- Record bird life
- Put up bird nesting boxes, - a winter task
- Take pictures for our Facebook page (Benfield Wildlife and Conservation Group) and website (benfieldhilllnr.wixsite.com/benfield)
- Write articles for our newsletters and other publications
- Spread the word regarding this “hidden gem” in the Downs.
- No skills required but if "scrub bashing" you need to be relatively fit and healthy
- We work on a hillside with uneven ground and on slopes
- We will proved tools and training on how to use them and health and safety briefing
- Skills that would be nice to have are first aider training, photography, or writing skills but these are not essential. Similarly communication and writing skill to promote our organisation and what we do would be nice but not essential
- A love of wildlife and nature is required
- If you want to become a longer term volunteer we can offer training in leading volunteers and first aider training
- You will learn about the chalk grassland habitat and the species that rely on it.
- Ensure survival of scarce wildflowers, bees, butterflies, moths, birds and other species
- Keep fit - physically and mentally
- Meet friendly, like-minded people.
You need stout boots, thick gardening gloves, gardening clothes for working outdoors and on a hillside.
There is parking for volunteers on the grass verge as you approach West Hove Golf Club at BN3 8EX. more information will be provided if you register to volunteer with us.
We don't work on the hillside when its raining.
When do I need to be available?
|10.00 to 13.00
Where does this role take place?
- Wildlife and Animals
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
our constituation has an equal opps statement in it
Health and Safety
briefing on site
Briefing on site
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Public Liability Insurance with Zurich Ltd
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
if supported by adult
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities
up to a point
on site training re use of tools