Woodwork Volunteer (Forget Me Not Unit) - Swandean Worthing
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
The Forget Me Not Unit is a specialist acute dementia unit which currently has 2 x 10 bedded wards, with a 3rd opening later in 2022. Patients who are admitted from across Sussex, are experiencing severe symptoms of their dementia and requiring specialist assessment and treatment.
We are looking for someone who has an interest and skills in wood work who might be able to support us to facilitate specific wood work groups on the unit.
We are looking for a volunteer to support OT and activity staff to run basic wood work sessions.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- To undergo training and supervision as required
- To work alongside trust staff to support the engagement of patients in wood work activity
- To be able to work independently, show initiative and demonstrate an an ability to be flexibility within role.
- To bring ideas of activities which may work well with patients and work creatively.
- To be passionate about woodwork and to have relevant skills and knowledge required to support the patients
- To have an awareness of safety issues
- To have good communication skills and be able to encourage patients to engage where possible
- Well presented, with a friendly and approachable manner
- An ability to be patient and calm even in the face of difficult situations
- An ability to act on own initiative within the role description
- A willingness to be flexible and to follow the guidance of a placement supervisor
- A commitment to the trust’s equal opportunities and diversity policies
- A willingness to abide by the Sussex Partnership volunteer guidelines, including rules on confidentiality, health and safety, safeguarding adults and children and manual handling
- To be willing to receive training any areas as appropriate to the volunteer role.
Ideally, own transport required or would need to live local to the site.
When do I need to be available?
|One session a week - flexible - Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays between 10-12am or 2-4pm
Where does this role take place?
- Employment, Education and Training
- One-off Activity
Equal Opportunities Policy or Statement
Health and Safety
Insurance Cover for Volunteers
Suitable for 13 - 16 years
Suitable for 16 - 18 years
Suitable for a group of volunteers
Suitable only for (e.g. 18+, LGBT, BAME, Women only)
Support on Offer
This role is adaptable for different abilities